Τhe Agia Sofia or Agia Sophia for several years was the metropolis of Thessaloniki.
Hagia Sophia is a great Basilica (domed) built over the ruins of an earlier gigantic basilica (which was destroyed in the 6th century AD)
The church was built to commemorate the Hagia Sophia in Constantinopolis.
The Rotunda is part of the imperial complex built in 306 AD as the Pantheon (or mausoleum) for the emperor Galerius.
As the name suggests the monument is a circular building with a dome 24 meters in diameter. Theodosius the Great turned it into a church during his reign for many years was the church of Thessalonica.
Byzantine church, built in 1028, with three domes and surviving murals dedicated to the Virgin Mary protector of the coppersmiths. The church was renovated in the 14th century. The name "Mary of Chalkeon" was due to its location in the center of the copper processing professionals operating in the area from the medieval years until today.
Agios Minas is the protector of the commercial market of Thessaloniki.
The original church of St. Menas was built during the 8th century and was the oldest church in the area.
Testimonies of Byzantine documents affirm that the church existed and operated from the early 9th century Byzantine Thessaloniki as the Turkish invasion of 1492.
The church of Prophet Elias is a very important monument for the city of Thessaloniki since is the only church in Thessaloniki which was constructed with the technique used by the Palaeologus family.
Its architectural design is cross shaped with four-columns, known as the Athoniki technique since it was used exclusively in the holly Mount of Athos.
Is a church dedicated to Virgin Mary and its name is translated “not made by human hand”.
The basilica mentioned in written sources as the church of the Virgin Mary's and even as the great church of the Virgin Mary. The Acheiropoiitos name first appeared in a document of 1320 and it was related to the holly image of the Virgin.
The church was built over the ruins of a Roman bath during the fifth century.
Moni Vlatadon (Old Monastery of Vlatados)
Two brothers named Dorotheus and Mark Vlattis, were the persons who founded the monastery in 1360.
The two brothers were members of the intellectual circle of the Bishop of Thessaloniki, Gregory Palamas, who later was announced, a saint.
He died in 1359 and a mural decorates the inside of the church.